Monday, August 1, 2011

Coconut Ruffle Cake


A really good friend of mine makes coconut cake all the time, and I have wanted to give one a go for a while, so although I didn't use her recipe, yesterday I baked my very first coconut cake. I cut it into 3 layers and after doing some googling as to which filling flavours compliment, I decided to go with 1 just filled with swiss meringue buttercream, and the other with lemon curd (my favourite). I also tried a new swiss meringue buttercream recipe, which I was really happy with....finally!
As for decorating my coconut cake, I fell in love with this ruffle cake design here, well actually I fell in love with everything in this picture, but especially the ruffle cake, which is actually a Martha Stewart cake design. Anyway, I didn't have the right tip to do this exact design, but I really like the effect that I got from the tip I used anyway (Tala #11). It is quite different, but effective in it's own way. I added the fondant rose to give it a more romantic look.

No comments:

Post a Comment